If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (816) 895-8890

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Common Causes of Residential Fires and How to Avoid Them

1/14/2021 (Permalink)

common causes residential fires prevent them kansas city The day after a fire in a Kansas City home.

The slightest misstep can cause untold damages in a house fire. These small accidents can turn into massive blazes within seconds. Even small fires can injure people and cost thousands in repairs.

The best way to prevent a fire in your home is by understanding how easily they can start.

Common Causes of Home Fires

Fires can start in several different ways, but the main cause of fires are heat and chemicals.

Kitchen Fires

Grease fires are extremely common while cooking. They are also known for getting completely out of hand very rapidly. Even a little bit of spilled grease will spread quickly and be very difficult to control.

Other culprits are smaller cooking appliances, like toasters, toaster ovens, and griddles. They can have an electrical short or frayed cord. They can start fires when they are touching other objects like the bread bag, a tea towel, or paper.

Avoid these fires by never leaving cooking food unattended. For a grease fire, DON’T PANIC. People tend to freak out and that’s where the fire can take control.

Turn the heat off and cover the pot with a metal lid. Never throw water on it or try to cover it with a towel. Keep baking soda nearby to toss on the grease fire, and your kitchen should always have a fire extinguisher.

Keep cookware clean and free of built-up grease. Clean out smaller appliances, like a toaster to get all the crumbs out. Never put small cooking appliances away hot.

Electrical Fires

Another area for fires in the home is electrical. These start from short circuits, circuits overheating. They can also be caused by frayed wires in the walls, broken or damaged cords, or poor electrical work.

These types of fires are very deadly, as we often don’t know they are even present. Some older homes can have wiring that is simply outdated. If you can’t blow dry your hair while mom makes toast, your wiring needs an upgrade.

Prevent overtaxing your electrical system. Don’t plug too many appliances into the same socket or power bar. This is vital at the holidays if you are putting up a tree and decorations that require electricity.

Always check your cords on your lights, lamps, all appliances, and extension cords.

Have regular inspections to make sure everything is working and there are no damages. Do not perform these inspections on your own. You may have more problems than you can see, like rodent damage or dampness.


A dropped cigarette can start a fire so quickly, and it can travel fast. Carpets, furniture, beds, or newspapers and magazines.

Don’t smoke in the house.

Candles and Space Heaters

These two are also responsible for causing a lot of undue fires. Don’t leave either of these unattended, around children, or close to flammables.

After The Fire

If you have suffered a fire, you likely have a lot of smoke damage. Don’t attempt to clean it yourself. At SERVPRO of Kansas City Midtown we are ready and waiting to take care of it for you.

From clean-up to restoration, we will take care of your home. Get in touch with us today!

Other News

View Recent Posts